Sunday, September 14, 2008

Little Miracles






Maka was at a Stake Meeting up in a different city. I desperately needed to go to the store. I had 5 children at the time, and I took 5 with me to the store. It was about 7pm, walking through the store, Aanya, Keilani walking beside me, Katalina and Lavi in the basket sitting down,and leila in the front of the basket in her car seat. I did this all the time, I have become a pro taking all my rugrats with me places. I knew that it was dangerous to put my children in the basket, but I was a pro right, I would just make sure that they would sit on there bums.

We were not in the store 5 minutes, stopped to look at a card for their father, I caught with the corner of my eye Katalina standing up in the basket. I hurried and went for her, as I took a step, I yelled "Sit down before......" "BAM", out of the basket, head first backwards onto the hard cement floor.

I really didn't know what to think, I was shocked first off, I picked her up, as she was crying, I threw her over my shoulder, as I patted her back with one hand I hurried and felt for a bump, or blood.. Nothing. whew!!

I turned her around and asked if she was alright, she said(trying to hold back the tears,) "yes mommy", so I put her into the basket again, Leila was the baby, she was crying, Lavi was crying, and of course Katalina was too. We hurried and tried to get the things I desperately needed (diapers) and once we got the the store where the diapers were at, I bent over to see if Katalina was ok again.

I looked down into the basket, looked at her, and asked her again" are you OK", she turned with tears still running down her cheeks, looked up at me---- MY HEART JUST ABOUT CAME OUT OF MY CHEST---- Her eyes were bulging out of her sockets, littlery.. I was frantic, I was in shock, I had my cell phone in my hand, instead of calling 911, I called my sister, she told me to get off the phone and call 911.. I didn't, I don't know why, I wonder if it was that she looked fine again, or that just the shock I couldn't do anything.

I walked out that store, 5 kids, 5 crying. Nobody helped me, I simply put everyone in the car, and drove to my mother-in-laws house, which was 15 minutes away from the store, I kept questioning the seriousness of it all. I called the bishop, cuz I couldn't get a hold of my husband, he then gave my husband the message to call me right away.

He didn't hesitate one bit, He was straight forward, said I was to take her to the emergency right away. Once I got there my husband met me, we were seen shortly after we got there. The doc came in, sat down, asked what had happened, didn't even look at her head, just immediately said we need to do an cat scan on her..

He didn't act like anything was wrong with her.. Did I blow this out of proportion?
Nope.. After it was all done and over with, the doctor came in and said I have good news and bad news.

First the good news.. "she is not dead". (ummm- OK?)

Bad news- "She fractured her skull from the bottom of her head all the way up to top..

WHAT?????????

now I was freakin'

The good news came from the xrays.... the fracture was the straightest fracture he'd ever seen.. He told us that if there was one jagged piece on that break that it would have punctured, and she would have bled to death with in 15 minutes...

Stupid says what?????

I can't believe to this day that I did not take her in right away.( Dev-why didn't the eyes bulging out not give it away?)

I am thankful for the angel that was watching out for my little 3 year old, I defiantly learned my lesson.

She is 99% recovered from this, she is now 7, and sometimes will wake up in the middle of the night with a headache, but a headache over a dead child, I'll deal with that for sure..I just tell her that that is her angels love pressing down on her head...

Please please please, to this day I walk the store with my children beside me. I can't help it, I stare at the mothers who have the children in their basket, not judging, but out of fear, I simply tell that person about our near death experience, most people just look at me weird, but at least I warned them right.. Please, Please please, do not put your children in the basket at the stores, the price you might pay is defiantly not worth the few minutes of sanity....

Another Monday, another memory...

18 coments:

samiam said...

Wow that was some memory. Glad that she was and is ok. It sucks when you feel like you may be overreacting but it is the health of your child that matters in the end. I feel like who cares if people think I worry too much, I have to live with the end result. =)

Misty said...

I love these Monday Memories posts. You are so creative and that's great that you can remember things....I cannot sometimes!

hoLLy said...

oh my gosh, how scary! and thank goodness she was okay. i can't even imagine the scene. i am a paranoid mom(but i say its a good thing!). some think i'm over the top, but when it comes to my kids safety, i don't think there is such a thing as "too careful." ever.

hey, can you leave your email address in a comment on my blog? i'll delete the comment right after i get it, so your email address isn't out there. that way i can send you a blog invite to my daughters blog. also, thanks for the offer to do her template, but she says she doesn't want to change it. she likes the hibiscus flower template i stole off some site:) but that was SO SWEET of you to offer to do that devri, thanks! you are awesome!

tammy said...

Holy cow! How scary! I'm so glad she was okay. Wow, everyone needs to know this. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it does.

Untypically Jia said...

Girl I nearly had a heart attack while reading that, I can only imagine what ya'll went through! Thank the Lord she's okay now. Good for you for telling other mothers your story!

Jamie said...

OKAY WHAT!!! I will never put my kids in the back again!! I have done it several times and I am constantly saying "Sit down" I have been yelled at by store workers and all and thought they needed to mind their own busines.s I have my eye on him at all times. A false sense of security on my part, Thanks for sharing:0)

Mia said...

Ok that was enough of a lesson for me. Now if I can just convince my husband to not put them in the back of the cart.

Becky said...

holy freak-out!

Mindi said...

so glad you and yours are all okay--things like that can scare the living daylights out of us--i had my little mia break her leg when she fell out of the back of the target cart. yeah, i felt like the best mom. ever. but glad it wasn't worse.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! I totally understand about wondering wether or not to take her to the hospital!! When Megan was 11 months old,we had just come home from church. I was getting Nephi a drink in the kitchen..I had literally been gone 2 seconds when I heard a chocking sound. I ran to where Megan was,by the door and saw she had pulled down the hangers from the closet and had swollowed the end of one.(it was one of those plastic hangers that baby clothes come on,with the little curved edges). She couldn't breath and was literally choking to death. Instead of calling 911 I called my mom and she called 911. I completely froze. Then I realized i had to do something. I didn't want to hurt her but I had to keep her from dying so I yanked the hanger out of her throat. Blood gushed out all over but at least she could breath again. By now I was shaking and in shock..my dad made it from their house to mine in about 5 minutes and the ambulance got there around the same time. The medics tried to put her on the gurney but I was in such shock that I insisted on carrying her and dropped her on the way out. I ended up in the ambulance with her..it was awful. She had throat surgery( the hanger almost ripped her little dangly thing in the back of her throat right off)that night..it was terrifying!! SO add to your basket plea my hanger plea....DON'T KEEP THE PLASTIC HANGER THAT THE BABY CLOTHES COME ON...TELL THE WALMART WORKER TO THROW THEM AWAY!!! I tell people all the time and some think I am crazy. But things happen and we as parents aren't always aware of every possible danger. So we need to warn each other!!!You have inspired me to blog about this.

Renee said...

Dang girl! That's quite a memory. I'm so glad she's alright and that you made it through as well!!!!

Suzanne said...

Ok, my heart is still racing. Seriously, that scared me to death. I don't have any kids that I can stuff into a grocery basket (they are a little too big), but I do have grandkids! Thanks for the warning -- seriously.

tiki_lady said...

that was some fall! yikes. I am so glad she is ok and you headed to the hospital.

Ane said...

Oh kay...I am guilty of allowing my kids to do this, BUT I am NOT going to do it no more! EVER! Thanks for scaring me straight! What a blessing that she was okay! My little girl is also Katalina...but Mele Katalina...How cool!

ma'elePHOTO said...

How scary! Thanks for that advice. I always swing my kids into the basket... cause they only have room for ONE child in the seat (yeah, need to petition for more safe shopping for 2+ child families.) Anywho- I will definitely discontinue that practice. Glad your daughter is doing swell. Thoroughly enjoyed your blog!

Ofa Atu~ The Vaitai's

Unknown said...

OH my goodness...how scary.

I would totally be the idiot to not take her in too...don't feel too bad...when you get a few kids under your belt, it's like you are numb to any kind of accident unless there is blodd involved.

I am SOOOO glad that she was o.k.

Man, I am never going to be able to let my kids get in a shopping cart again...thanks a lot!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

OH MY HECK! I just about DIED when I read this. WOW! Those angels were sure watching over your child. Wow, what an amazing story. I am SO glad to hear that she is okay now. That was a miracle and thanks so much for the warning!

Leslie said...

Oh my! I was in the grocery store once and I heard a crack... then a cry.... a child had fallen out of the cart onto their head. 911, paramedics. I'll never forget th sound of the child hitting the floor. Very, very scary (and I didn't even know the child!)

So glad your little girl is now ok!