Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday Memories


I have been wanting to write this one down on my journal for a long time now. It is the most scariest thing that has happend to me, and I am ready to share it with the world.

note- this is my journal, so bear with me, and I will have fun posts this week I promise..



(This happened this year)

We had just got word from a phone call that our dear Prophet Gordon B. Hinkely had passed away. We were all shocked, not that we didn't know it was going to happen, but just that he was actually gone.

We did scriptures, prayed and tucked the kids into bed, Maka headed for work. Everything went planned as a usual Sunday night until one phone call about 11pm

It was my niece asking for Aanya...

Niece- Is Aanya there?

Me- Niece!!! Yes she is here, do you know what time it is? She is in bed what do you need?

Niece- I just wanted to talk to her about Maka's work exploding....

Me- (Dumbfounded) WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

Niece- Uhhhh- My mom just told me that Maka's work just exploded...

Me- GIVE THE PHONE TO YOU MOM!!!!!

Me- Sala- What is going on....

Sala- We felt like there was just a earthquake, and come to find out that it was the plant exploding... Bishop tried calling down there and all the Tongans are OK, but they can't find Maka anywhere..

Me- Hyperventilating (for real) Gotta go...

I sat there for a second, thinking to myself... "What we just fought for our lives with his cancer, and now he just fridgen died in an explosion!!! (screaming at Heavenly Father) "Don't do this to me, help them get to him fast"

I tried to phone my husbands cell phone a million times, nothing, I was balling, yelling, all the kids woke up, I couldn't help myself. With all the strength I needed and had going through almost death once, I couldn't do it again...

I immediately called my good friend and who was also the Relief Society President, she asked me if she could come over.. I said no... I was headed down there.... She asked me to wait, to stay with the kids, I said no, I was already headed out the door.

Maka had taken the suburban to work, so I only had his truck. No car seats no room, I piled everyone in the truck and headed out. I was crying so badly I couldn't hardly see the road.

Great Dev, you just takin' all your children to go see this... What are you thinking?

I really didn't know what to think.. I really wasn't thinking. I just wanted to know...

About 5 minutes before I got to the plant, I got a phone call from Maka. He was OK, just bumped up a bit. I then yelled at him and asked why he did not call me or anyone to let them know you were OK.... (trust me, I did not say it in a pretty tone), he then went to say this...

After the explosion, I stayed in there to go see if I could get anyone out...

I thought to myself... No that is not what you are suppose to do. You do not go into more trouble, you do not replay 911.

Then I calmed myself and said.. OK, are you sure you are OK.. I am on my way, do you want me to come...

Maka- NO, they won't let anyone even close to the plant anyway. Just go home, and put the kids back to bed...

Let me state for the record.. I love that my husband would go serve his fellow workers like that....And I am glad he did, and would probably want him to do it again..

Why do I have such a brave one...

I still have kinks in my Web site, but I am going to launch it anyway, I want to get this I touch off for someone for a Christmas present.. I will Launch it on Thursday, this will be my last post until then, and I can't come visit you all until then also... Be safe. Be happy!!!!

Me

29 coments:

Hillary said...

Oh honey! What a scary ting to have to face. You have been through the wringer, haven't you. BUt what impresses me the most is you faith in the Lord. I know we all struggle with it at times,especially when we need it the most, but you have it and HE knows you. I'm glad your hubby was ok!

(send me your address. I have something to send you!)

Aquaspce said...

That is so scary/sad/amazing/ all at once!
You are a strong person :)

Aquaspce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gigi said...

I so hate these time that we are brought to the edge and then Heavenly Father pulls us back. so grateful for your blessings of safty. Good Luck with the new site.

Tara D. said...

I'm so glad Heavenly Father was looking out for your husband and whole family for that matter. I love reading your blog and what you have to share. I'm just amazed at what you have had to endure, and the strength you have had to endure them with.

Renee said...

So glad your husband's ok, again! Wow, that is scary.

rachel said...

Wow! what a scary experience to have to face. glad it worked out for the best.

PS love your new blog background...so festive!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Devri! What a horrible thing to have happen! I'm so grateful he is ok. I love the new look!

Melissa P said...

Wow! I cannot imagine the feelings you were going through that night. You are an amazing person. I love to read your blog. You have so much faith. I am glad that everything turned out all right. I am glad to hear that your husband is doing well.

Kristina P. said...

Devri, how scary! This is one of my worst fears. Honestly. I'm glad everyone was OK.

tammy said...

Holy cow! How scary. So glad he was okay. Obviously his work is not done here yet.

Jan said...

I was scared just reading this. Everyone's worse nightmare to go through. You are amazing. I am so glad that everyone was okay. :)

Sue said...

luv your christmasy header..

Wow!! you have many spiritual stories to share..

When we are all so stressed tryin to get things done, it's nice to take a breather and say Thanks H. Father for all you do.. He's in our daily lives if we just look!

MERRIANNE said...

you are so spiritual!!! i love your story.... it makes me want to hug you!

Suzanne said...

What a scary thing to go through. Thank heavens (literally) that your husband was safe. I agree, that's one brave guy.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Oh my word! I could not believe this happened to you! WOW! What a story. I'm so glad he was OK. Here's a big ol' hug for you!
(((((((hugs)))))))

The Mom said...

Wow. That is scary. I am so glad that he was okay.

SuperCoolMom said...

That would be so scary! I can't even imagine. I'm so glad that everything worked out alright for your family. I'm sure that things will work out with work as well. Hang in there. Can't wait for next week!!!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Oh, gosh! What an awful thing for you to go through. And yet your husband is so admirable for being so brave.

Anonymous said...

Hi -

This is Erica from 5 Minutes for Mom. I really need to talk to you as soon as possible. Could you email me at info@5minutesformom.com?

I couldn't find a link to your profile on your blog, to be able to send an email your way.

Thank you soooo much. :-)

hoLLy said...

holy moly! you have so many scary and amazing stories. you are one strong woman! so glad your husband was alright. i can't even imagine getting that phone call. i think its great your husband wanted to help but i know what you mean(keep yourself safe man!) i've said that to joey before too, you can help people but please please be careful. you've got a family! i think its the islander in them:) its their giving helpful nature.

Shannon said...

Wow! That is so scary! I'm soooo glad everything was fine with your husband. Thank the Lord!

in time out said...

sorry for what you went through. thanks for sharing. hope you have a beautiful day.

Christie said...

How totally scary! I"m glad he ended up being ok.

Jamie said...

OH!!!! I can not begin to imagine how terrifying that must have been.You do have a brave one, I am so happy he is still with you!!!!

Unknown said...

I want to have as great of a marriage as you guys do WITHOUT all the scares....think it is possible?

What a man you are married to. I am so glad he was o.k.

Unknown said...

I miss you! Come back soon!!! We did end up getting the Ds for both of them. My hubby convinced me.I'm a sucker. We got them both new ones since hubby was all weird about used ones. And he didnt want them fighting over a "share" one!! My 3 gift rule still stands though!!!

Omgirl said...

Scary!!! I'm glad he was OK.

HaYn Mama said...

My gosh I remember that explosion. My sis-in-law called me to tell me she thought we were having an earth quake.

I'm so grateful that your hubby was safe. I would have done the same as you fo'shua!

I'll be checking your website soon!