Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Memories!



Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:




"Women . . . who can hear the voice of the Lord, and who respond to those promptings, become invaluable instruments in His hands. . . . Never doubt that your influence is absolutely vital to preserving the family and to assisting with the growth and spiritual vitality of the Church" ("Women of Righteousness," Liahona, Dec. 2002, 42; Ensign, Apr. 2002, 72).



About a month ago, Maka had to turn some papers into the court. It was the last day to do it, and I knew it. The Court closes at 5 so I thought to myself, I will do it when I go get the kids from school.


The time came and went, Maka needed me to run an errand, so I thought to myself, I will do it after that. That time came and went. It was 4:30, and I grabbed the paper, and ran into a city that was 15 minutes away. As I hobbled in the courtroom, put my keys and my phone in a plastic bowl, I proceeded to walk through the laser machine....

BEEP!

They pulled me over to the side and started to scan me up and down, as soon as they got to my cast, they chuckled.. "How did that happen"? I replied.. My husband beat me! lol jk


As I stood in line, I saw 3 children that looked familiar to me, they were half Tongan, I knew them from somewhere, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I glanced at the mom, It hit me like a ton of bricks, you know her and she needs help.

What why does she need help? I haven't seen this family for over 2 years? I felt it again. This lady needs your help.

I tried to figure out what to do, do I go up to this lady and say.. What can I help you with? No... What do I do? I can not get out of line, I have this paper to turn in before 5,

Thankfully, he little girl came over to me. I just talked quietly with her, then the mom came over. We talked for a minute catching up with each other, then I told her I was turning in a paper to the court so we could close Maka's case. She then stated that she was their because her and her husband got a divorce, and she was trying to file a restraining order against him.

This family was a great family in our ward, and the story she was telling me was heartbreaking. To see these little ones go through what they will have to endure for the rest of their lives is simply sad.

We went on our way, going different directions when the lady called out for us in different cubicles. The lady who helped me, told me some wrong information, she actually told me something that I was suppose to take to a different building. What? OK I went on my way got in my car, went to that office... FAIL! They sent me to a lawyers office! I was getting all huffy pufffy about the whole situation, because the time was 4:55. I scurried back over to the court hoping that they hadn't shut the doors yet...

I lucky got back in, beeped the machine, and back in line before 5pm.. Phew!!!!

But when I turned the paper into the right place, I noticed my friend crying in the corner. I went up to her and asked if everything was OK, it wasn't..

You see, they told her, in order to get a restraining order, it wouldn't go into affect until Monday (it was Friday)..

You see her husband had gone off the deep end, threatening her and take the children forever, and never bring them back. I stated to her, go and hide, she replied, the court will take my kids away if I am not at pick up. I stated you have got to get help. I then went to a lady who was processing paperwork their, "Excuse me miss, can I ask you a question?" Sure she replied.. "Can you help me with this situation?" Yes, she replied. " can I talk to an officer for child and woman protective services". She stated that she would find someone, and then she pointed to my friend. "I have seen her in here almost everyday trying to get some help". I replied, yes, and she needs help, I will not leave until I know she is OK."


To make a long story a medium story, she got the help she needed. Would have she if I wasn't their. I believe not!


I know with out any doubt that we are here on this earth to help give a hand to God when he asks it of us. Everyone is a instrument to our Heavenly Father, and Everyone should be trying to live with peace in their hearts, so that when it is our turn to give a hand, that we will be ready to take on it.

Do not get me wrong, I am not perfect by any means, you know that when your now 3 year old son says..." mom don't cream at me".

But I am thankful and broke down that night and thanked my Heavenly Father for giving me the opportunity to be an instrument for him.

Their are way too many experiences in my life where I have been on the other end of this with all the trials I have, but that day was a great day, a day to give back!

Listen, learn and love.. That's what I am trying better at...

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥



I told you I'd tell you about the Gift of Hope...(last post)

I am hosting my first annual Gifts of Hope, where companies and individuals will donate goods to Santa's bag, to help bring one or more needy families a Christmas of hope this coming Season.

The contest will start November 15th, and end Dec 1st.

Why do I tell you now?

If you have a business or just want to help out, please leave me a comment or email mail me at

maka devri at gmail dot com

People will leave comments and emails voting for a family in need, and then the perfect family(s) to receive a smile this Christmas Season.

Sorry this was a long post today.....

Forgives?!


I don't want to make you feel like you need to help out, it is not that way. But I would love anyone who feels like they can.. Join in on this wonderful bloggy goodness!

14 coments:

Kristina P. said...

What a great story! You were her angel!

Sues2u2 said...

I'm so glad that you were not only in the right place but that you listened.

I don't have an actual business but I do paint canvass bags that are perfect for little ones to cart around w/ treasures in. I'll email you some photos. If these help I'd be glad to make some.

Family said...

Wonderful story Lil' sis.

Jillene said...

What a beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing Devri!!

Kaci said...

Wow so inspiring!! XOXO

rachel said...

I'm soooo glad you were there!!

mCat said...

I once had a prophet tell me, to my face, never ignore a prompting.

Good for you, and I'm sure she is thankful for your willingness to obey

Jamie said...

I don't believe it was an accident you were there either. The Lord knows each of us & knows what we need and how we can help eachother. I am so glad you were there for her.

I can use my Photography skills, I don't know if I can help from so far away, but if I can let me know!

Cynthia said...

I am so glad you were there to help her! I hope she got through the weekend okay. What a sad story.

My husband is living with the guilt of NOT having helped a friend. An old childhood friend of his contacted us awhile back to ask for help but the situation was really strange and we were nervous to get involved. I always run headlong into this kind of thing but not my spouse.

We found out last night that the old friend who had reached out to my Hubs passed away. While I know if my Hubs had helped him when asked it wouldn't have changed the outcome for the friend, I also know it would have changed my Husband. He wouldn't be living with so much guilt right now.

I'm glad that YOU stepped up and did the right thing at the right time. It's amazing how we are often led to these situations.

Renee said...

We really can be angels on earth! That's a great story to start the day out with. Thank you!!!

Keep us updated on this Christmas project. It sounds like a wonderful idea.

tammy said...

I always used to wonder if what I was feeling was really a prompting from the Lord, or just my own mind making stuff up. Then I heard a talk that said how they are ALWAYS promptings. That made it easier for me to pay attention to them.

I'm glad you were there to help her too.

Sue said...

We have to listen to those promptings or they will stop coming.

Way to go my dear. Great story

Lillian J. Banks said...

Wow- I have been the girl crying and had angels helping. Right now we are back with court stuff and I am feeling very alone. My daughter is struggling, but is hiding it so well that the people who need to see her struggle can't. I wish I had someone step in for me and fight for my daughter in a way that the courts would believe instead of just the ;mom; saying so. Good for you, you are a blessing to many.

Trish said...

Oh wow. Isn't it amazing when we let God guide our actions? I feel so special to be an instrument in His hands.