Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not so Wordless Wednesday








This amazing picture was taken in 1918. The Statue of Liberty comprises of 18,000 men preparing for war in a training camp at Camp Dodge, in Iowa.It was a midsummer day when the photograph was taken, with temperatures of 105 degrees F, and the officers and soldiers wore woolen uniforms. Many fainted from heat exhaustion.




I stole this from a wonderful lady named Anne Bradshaw. She is an award winning author.. Go check her out here. You can find all the facts about this photo there and you can check out her books their as well. She even has a new book coming out in Autumn of 2009, called "Famous Family Nights"..

6 coments:

gigi said...

I've seen that many times and it always amazes me. Love it.

Jan said...

That is so patriotic feeling. I needed to see that today Devri. Thanks.

rachel said...

This photograph is amazing! This is the first time I've seen it- can you imagine that happening nowadays?

Kerri said...

Wow! That's amazing!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words, Devri. Much appreciated.

So sorry you didn’t win the contest on my blog this week at Not Entirely British.

Thanks for taking part. Hope you will enter again soon. This week’s prize CD is well worth winning.

Stacie S-H said...

Thats a neat pic. I have never seen it before. I know Anne Bradshaw! She is really a cool lady