Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spiritual Sunday!




My daughters class is full of life. Do you remember your 5Th grade?

Boy, I wonder some days how in the world did I ever become what I have become, and then I think of my childhood days, "I sure have learned a lot!"

Back then, I did a lot of stuff that I am not proud of, but I want to share this with you.

I remember growing up, seeing special children, and staring at them. The school we were at, they went to recess the same time as my class. On this day, I remember walking out with my coat on, then looking over my shoulder, I noticed a special child who had fallen outside.

What was I to do? I looked around to see if anyone would go to help. Nobody did.

This poor soul was freezing on the ground, with no coat, and wet from the ice, she was looking for a friend, someone to help her up.

I look away pretending like I didn't see her, I then shouted at my friends as I was trying to catch up with them.

Later I saw her crying, I felt horrible, but I didn't have the courage to stand out.

To this day I regret it, I learned from it, and have taught my children to stand out.



Now let me share this with you..

Aanya I have to admit, not only is she beautiful, she is popular, and a leader.

Her teacher told me this...

"I am so impressed with your daughter.. Every once in awhile I check on the kids outside, But this day I noticed something.

On this day there was a bunch of kids walking down the side walk, and on the other side was a special child. I thought that I would have to go help this situation, because rarely this situation doesn't end good.

This special person, grabbed hold of a girl in this group, the girl got upset, and started to be not so nice. As I started to walk, I saw your daughter merge from the group, put herself in front of the two, talk to each of them, and hug the special child.

I was impressed, and thought I better stay out there for the rest of recess, as I kept a watch, Do you want to know what I saw?

I saw the group of friends leave Aaanya and the special girl, the two of them stood their for a minute, and then the two of them went for a walk alone.

Do you want to know what I saw next? I saw one girl start to walk with them, and then another, and another and so on, until their probably the whole 5Th grade walking with this special child."



Guys I was so happy with my child that she truly sees everyone as a child of God and nothing else.

Aanya STANDS OUT!

Learning to love people as they are, is the hardest lesson the church tries to teach us, I know for a fact that I am not perfect, but a lesson from my daughter has helped me to understand better, not the age, not the rich, not the poor, nor the good or bad.....

We are all Children of God.

15 coments:

Family said...

That's my Aanya! She is a leader for a reason!

Jamie said...

WOW. Good for Aayna!!! My Sister is handicap and I have seen others be unnkind and even rude when she gets loud. I am SO grateful for those llke your Aayna who see people for who they really are.She must have some great examples, infact I know she does.

Brynn said...

Aanya's story brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful daughter you are raising!

Jan said...

So proud of her and her desire to do the right thing. She is a leader. We need more Aanya's floating around. It would be a much better place.

Give her a big hug and a cookie from Jan and Mattie.

Kristina P. said...

I am so proud of her! It breaks my heart to see kids bullied and treated poorly.

Mia said...

Beautiful Devri, I am so proud of Aanya too. What a great lesson.

hoLLy said...

that is such a sweet story! you must be so proud of your daughter. you are obviously teaching her right!!! what a kind little lady.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Good for her! What a beautiful example for others too! She must get this wonderful behavior from her amazing mother:)

Melissa P said...

That is a great story. I have a special needs niece. I watch people look at us funny sometimes. She looks normal just her behavior isn't always normal. That is great your daughter has already learned to love these children. They are special.

Unknown said...

That shows what great parents you and Maka are. Way to go!

tammy said...

Good for her. I truly think this generation of children is much stronger than all of us. I see it in my own kids.

Kerri said...

Tell Aanya I 'm so proud of her!

The Mom said...

I think we all have moments in our lives that we regret. How wonderful you daughter is to be able to stand out like that. I hope my children can be that strong.

tiki_lady said...

I love it, you have taught your daughter and given her more self esteem than most. It means you can stand on your own even if it is different from the crowd.

My children all of them are like this, except for my youngest.
I was like this growing up. I still am. I tend to dance to a different beat than others but I'm ok, with that. I love the example you are to your children and how they are following and heeding your teachings.

Kenny Do's said...

Go Aanya! She learned it somewhere Dev...gotta give yourself a little credit! :D